Microsoft Application Virtualization

Welcome to the Microsoft Application Virtualization customer feedback site! Please submit your ideas or vote for one of the current features suggested below. The engineering team is actively monitoring the site and we want to hear from you!

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Improve Client publishing process (Deleted Shortcuts)

We all know that sometimes you aren't able to modify an existing package to update an application and you have to create a completely new package.

Let's assume you have the following packages (Different package ids, Different Version ids)

Notepad++ 5.0
    Notepad++ 6.0

All users are using Notepad++ 5.0 and we need to update them to Version 6.0. Also both Packages are having a Startmenu and a Desktop Shortcut called "Notepad++".

Now we publish the new Version (6.0) and unpublish the old Version (5.0) via the Management Console.

When the new Version gets published the following things happens on the…

101 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    • Make a tool in MS Access to determine the botlleneck in the speed of requesting information from the backend

I make MS Access databases. And it is very fast on my local PC, but when it works with 50 people over a network with a lot of data it gets slow and people blame Access!!
      1) Make a simulation tool for on my local PC for more than 1 user on a network with a lot of data, so that the problem doesn't occur.
      2) Show what part of a query is causing the problem, or what part of the network is slow with an analyse tool (speed test).
      3) Show the expected query calculation time when adding a…

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Outlook agenda: Check availability resources (i.e. conference rooms) before sending the invitation to everybody instead of declining it.

When I make an invitation in Outlook Agenda for a group of people with a recurrence, it happens I didn't check if the conference room is available for all the booked moments. If it isn't it declines all and I have to correct the invitation.
        It would be handy if outlook told me BEFORE sending it to everybody.

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Enable Full Registry Staging to improve first launch application performance

Registry staging of Classes keys in captured AppV packages can lead to long launch times and high CPU utilization of the AppVClient.exe process while staging is going on. This process can take 10's of minutes to being a constant annoyance if numerous users continue to launch and close the application before staging is complete. Sometimes this does lead to GUI's not displaying themselves before the Citrix/RemoteApp times out of not showing a GUI, logging a user off forcing RegistryStaging to start over.

I would propose Microsoft allow, for XenApp/RDS scenarios, the ability to force RegistryStaging to completion during publishing. I've…

9 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Cleanup old Pkgs

It would be nice to have the ability to automatically Cleanup old and unused Packages from the Clients, because they are starting to fill up the SSDs.
            "Automatically Remove unused Apps after XX days"

148 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Folks,

Thanks for helping make App-V better with your suggestions. This is an update on this idea since we are reviewing it.

Current thinking:
              - GPO setting that runs a script every XX days to remove UNPUBLISHED apps from client machines
              - Exclusion list

Please notice that INACTIVE but still PUBLISHED apps will not be removed. This is because the app will automatically reappear after the next sync anyway since it is published.

Questions we have are:
              1. What scenario do you unpublish an app and not remove it?
              2. How do you get around the unused package issue currently?

Feel free to post additional thoughts on the User Voice idea.

Thanks,
              App-V Team

• Add and replace files to an existing package in an easier way

It would be nice to implement an easier way to add and replace files to an existing package, without starting the sequencing process again. It is the same with shortcuts.

24 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • 1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Merge PATH Variable in a CG

When you have 2 packages in a CG each containing a PATH variable, only the lowest package wins. PATH variable is treated like any other file/registry conflict.
                  The ability to merge the PATH variables should be given, as the workaround is a nightmare.
                  You have to copy - paste the expanded variable from every package in your CG into package 0.
                  For example:
                  [{ProgramFilesX86}]\123\ becomes C:\ProgramData\App-V\pGUID\vGUID\Root\VFS\ProgramFilesX86\123.
                  With optional CGs, you still have to perform this workaround. Every time you have a new version of a package to add to the (optional) CG you risk breaking the whole CG for your…

15 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Scheduled package publishing

We have cases when we need publish packages to production in specific time. Package based publishing scheduler would be nice feature.

22 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Export automated driver

I think we all know here that you can not Sequencen driver. I need the driver either fixed in the v-disk install or attach it via a PowerShell script from the deployment.xml on the package and re-install. It would be great if I could App-V also automatically export this driver in an .exe file. And then automatically it could attach to the package. Provided, of course you want it to have.

27 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Option to auto load a template in the App-V Sequencer

Many organisations want to standardise the sequencing process and therefore use a template file. This needs to be manually added in every time a user launches the Sequencer, can we have a option to auto load this so we reduce the risk of a user forgetting to specify one prior to sequencing.

14 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  Admin →
                        • Make the App-V Full Infrastructure more Scalable

Not only is the current App-V Console lacking in functionality but the App-V Full Infra itself lacks the ability to scale. It seems the server setup itself can scale, quite well. But the client configurations and the fact you can't choose to replicate to particular file shares from the Console are limiting factors. Also changing the client package root settings is not seamless and requires to re-publish the applications.

It would be awesome if your could change the package root and it could look and find the same apps on the new content share and just point to there for…

19 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Allow .appv to contain all the options of the XML

The .appv file currently contains some of the options within the XML but not all, while the XML contains most of the options within the .appv but not all (write to VFS). It is much cleaner to allow the .appv to contain all options (including scripts, etc) and allow the XMLs to 'mask' the .appv similar to the MSI/MST relationship.
                            Without doing this the XMLs do not fully serve their purpose to provide an easy configuration to the package, but rather as a sometimes/maybe mandatory guessing game. It may sound small but it becomes difficult to know if the XMLs…

10 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Better integration with native Office / IE plugins

The ability to mark a package as an Excel.exe / WinWord.exe / iexplore.exe etc package and the client automatically create a connection group with all of the packages the user has access to that are marked as a plugin for that app, when they run the local executable.

With user RunVirtual and optional packages in CGs, this is getting closer to being achievable but is still too cumbersome to do on scale and support, especially with the mandatory package in each CG and the inability to assign a set GUID for a CG in full infra. A second, bonus, to…

13 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  Admin →
                              • Remove old package caches when unpublishing from Management console

I have come across a situation where I am trying to use the "Use Any Version" in a connection group. I have had this replicated by Microsoft support and they suggested I raise it here.

Here goes:
                                I have had to use generic apps to recreate the issue - but it was originally noticed with in-house applications.

I created a package (call it Notepad++) and created another package (call this DocumentSet - as you guessed containing a set of documents for users to access) - and linked them together with a connection group. DocumentSet was set as "Use Any Version".…

14 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Reintroduce Application Licensing to APPV 5.0

Appv 4.5 had an application licensing option whereby you could restrict applications based on the application's licensing requirements. This isn't present in APPV 5.0.
                                  For instance - If an application only has 10 licenses and these can run concurrently, I would like to be able to restrict within the APPV management console how many users can run this application at any one time. A consideration would need to be made for running the applications in offline mode. How will the server know that the license is in use?

Thanks in advance,

40 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  Admin →
                                  • Integrate localization into AppV package

We have applications that require specific localizations that are not applied when sequenced and launched in an AppV application. The types of keys I am talking about are:

reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout\Preload" /v 2 /t REG_SZ /d 00001009 /f
                                    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout\Preload" /v 3 /t REG_SZ /d d0011009 /f
                                    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout\Preload" /v 4 /t REG_SZ /d d0021009 /f
                                    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout\Substitutes" /v 00001009 /t REG_SZ /d 00000409 /f
                                    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout\Substitutes" /v d0011009 /t REG_SZ /d 00001009 /f
                                    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout\Substitutes" /v d0021009 /t REG_SZ /d 00011009 /f
                                    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International" /v Locale…

6 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Control where a local process is started when launching from a virtual environment and the process has an associated RunVirtual key

Normally when you start a process from another process running in a Virtual Environment, the started process runs in the same virtual Environment as the process it was started from. If found this not to be the case when the started application has an associated RunVirtual Key. In that case the started application is started in the Virtual Environment designated by the RunVirtual key. This behaviour can be both an advantage as well as a disadvantage depending on your needs. In situations where the started application and the application it was started from have to be integrated the integration will…

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Perform registry staging per package

The ability to configure a package to perform registry staging (through deployentconfig) while published (per package). Sometimes you want to perform startup actions depending on the registry data inside the virtual package. Occasionally you want to pre-stage the registry to improve user experience (only if the virtual registry of the package is huge ofc).

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Option to manually specify Package Version and Package Guid in App-V Sequencer.

It would be great, when the App-V Sequencer would have a option to overwrite Package-Version and Package-Guid.
                                          When you have to update a software package, sometimes it is necessary to build a new package from scratch instead of update. But there is no option to give the new package the same Package-Guid. The configuration overhead could be minimized.

8 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)