I suggest you ...

Better virtualized services support

I have an application (Epic) on a Citrix XenApp server which has a monitoring component to it (Epic SystemPulse). This monitoring component runs as a service under the LOCALSYSTEM context so it can be virtualized and actually runs without issue virtualized and sends data back to it's host server.

This software either needs to be running all the time to gather the performance metrics the company requires or run whenever Epic is launched.

To do this I tried making a connection group to Epic with SystemPulse as a separate package. When I do this, the first user to launch Epic will have the SystemPulse services launch automatically (this is good). Subsequent users will launch Epic and the SystemPulse services will attempt to launch again, fail because an instance is already running, and generate an event in the eventlog. This is mostly fine, but the messages are annoying. But if the first user exits, the services will terminate too; stopping the monitoring of the servers until the next user launches Epic.

To get around this limitation I created a scheduled task that launches the Epic SystemPulse package with the SYSTEM account. With this setup, Epic SystemPulse will fail to launch because AppV5 will not start packages if you are running under the SYSTEM context, so this fails too.

To work around these limitations I created an AutoIt script that launches the Epic SystemPulse application under a user context. Now I have a permanent unused process running under this user, but the services get started and will stay unless someone terminates the users process.

The ideal answer for me would be to allow the services to start automatically on application publish; allow the SYSTEM context to start the AppV services; or allow some option to allow the services to be running if $appvpackage is in-use for all users.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)