I suggest you ...

Merge PATH Variable in a CG

When you have 2 packages in a CG each containing a PATH variable, only the lowest package wins. PATH variable is treated like any other file/registry conflict.
The ability to merge the PATH variables should be given, as the workaround is a nightmare.
You have to copy - paste the expanded variable from every package in your CG into package 0.
For example:
[{ProgramFilesX86}]\123\ becomes C:\ProgramData\App-V\pGUID\vGUID\Root\VFS\ProgramFilesX86\123.
With optional CGs, you still have to perform this workaround. Every time you have a new version of a package to add to the (optional) CG you risk breaking the whole CG for your entire environment, even for people that do not use the newly added package.

15 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Andrew GAndrew G shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andrew GAndrew G commented  · 

In App-V 5.1 I tested this (briefly) and it appears to working! 2 packages with different PATH variables merge in a CG as expected, even with package order merging the variable in the correct order.

Good job!

Note to admins: I removed my points as it doesn't appear the topic will be closed.

Since this will be added in 5.1, could the idea be closed (so I can recover my points)?

• SoftgriderSoftgrider commented  · 

With App-V 5.1 they will be merged.

• Roy EssersRoy Essers commented  · 

This is indeed a must have.. at the moment I created a script which adds add dynamically to a dummy package which is highest in de CG.

Feedback and Knowledge Base