Microsoft Application Virtualization

Welcome to the Microsoft Application Virtualization customer feedback site! Please submit your ideas or vote for one of the current features suggested below. The engineering team is actively monitoring the site and we want to hear from you!

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Cleanup old Pkgs

It would be nice to have the ability to automatically Cleanup old and unused Packages from the Clients, because they are starting to fill up the SSDs.
    "Automatically Remove unused Apps after XX days"

144 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)

Hi Folks,

Thanks for helping make App-V better with your suggestions. This is an update on this idea since we are reviewing it.

Current thinking:
      - GPO setting that runs a script every XX days to remove UNPUBLISHED apps from client machines
      - Exclusion list

Please notice that INACTIVE but still PUBLISHED apps will not be removed. This is because the app will automatically reappear after the next sync anyway since it is published.

Questions we have are:
      1. What scenario do you unpublish an app and not remove it?
      2. How do you get around the unused package issue currently?

Feel free to post additional thoughts on the User Voice idea.

Thanks,
      App-V Team

• Handling Scripts in App-V 5.0

It would be really useful, if handling custom scripts are made easier in APP-V. Instead of placing scripts in scripts tab and editing the deploymentconfig.xml or userconfig.xml based on the needs, why not we have a separate tab for handling scripts which in turn can be automated to be added in the config.xml files auomatically. eg: placing powershell, VBScript, Batch file scripts in scripts section and we can choose at what point it needs to be run in the App-V Sequencer UI itself, instead of manually editing the deploymentconfig or userconfig files.

137 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Ability to deploy different sets of shortcuts to (multiple) groups

The ability to deploy different sets of shortcuts to (multiple) groups while using the same config. We sometimes have 1 package which has shortcuts to multiple backends (dev, test, prod, etc). We want to give the end users only the shortcut to prod, and developers for instance prod and test, and so on depending on AD group access. The problem is you cant configure this now, because if a user has 2 or more groups, there will be a conflict ending up letting the client apply de default config. Workaround is to create a custom script, which runs at publishing…

128 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Shortfalls of APPV5 compared to APPV4

Over the past few months I've had a number of cases with Microsoft on APPV and a number of very frustrating events leading up to the same answer, "APPV can’t do that anymore, or this should be a local install" Local install? What? isn't that what APPV is supposed to help with. If a new product version is released shouldn't it be able to do everything the previous version did and more??? Well my support rep kept telling me to post here, the product guys will read it. I have my doubts, especially since they won’t talk to us on…

123 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your feedback @kilimanj99 and others.

We have been working hard on bringing our customers, such as yourself, the new release of App-V 5.1. So please excuse our lapse in availability on UserVoice recently.

Understandably, App-V 4.x to App-V 5.0 was a big change especially with the underlying architecture being completely revamped. With App-V 5.1, we listened to customer feedback to narrow the gaps from App-V 4.x and to make sure that your transition to the new App-V architecture was as seamless as possible. This included improving the package converter, supporting folder redirection (Q: drive) as well as making improvements to the Server Management console (updated from Silverlight to HTML5/CSS). As noted, some of your feedback has already been addressed by App-V 5.1. We are continually trying to update the product to match our customer’s needs and are tracking issues that come in from various sources such…

• Improve Client publishing process (Deleted Shortcuts)

We all know that sometimes you aren't able to modify an existing package to update an application and you have to create a completely new package.

Let's assume you have the following packages (Different package ids, Different Version ids)

Notepad++ 5.0
            Notepad++ 6.0

All users are using Notepad++ 5.0 and we need to update them to Version 6.0. Also both Packages are having a Startmenu and a Desktop Shortcut called "Notepad++".

Now we publish the new Version (6.0) and unpublish the old Version (5.0) via the Management Console.

When the new Version gets published the following things happens on the…

100 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Wider range of isolation/snadboxing rules

Currently AppV supports only 2 rules in terms of isolation:
              1. Isolation (read: usercache -- bubble -- FS, writes: usercache)
              2. Strict isolation (read: usercache -- bubble, writes: usercache)
              Competitive system (and thus with AppV) was providing 2 additional modes:
              3. Ignore (Read: FS, writes: FS without any change.)
              4. Redirect (Defined path was seamlessly redirected elsewhere. This allowed you to store the data in cuistom location. For example fileshere.)

All of these are potentially valid for files/folders and registry as well.

81 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Provide visible feedback on launch

Provide visible feedback when launching a virtual application.

App-V 4 had a progress bar while the application streamed or loaded. With App-V 5, I've watched a user click an application 7 times because there was no feedback. At a minimum, changing to the cursor to an hourglass would be an improvement because the user can recognize that the system is processing the application launch. But ideally, some kind of discrete streaming progress bar like in App-V 4 should be included. And to really make everyone happy, give us an App-V client setting (or registry value that we can set as…

79 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Don't add every App-V application to the "Open With" dialog by default

We have hundreds of published apps per user here.

One thing we've noticed is that every time a user opens the "Open With" dialog, it takes forever (3-5 minutes) to show up because it tries to populate the dialog with ALL of the currently published App-V packages. This is evident from the fact that once you expand the "More Apps" link, where you can find the names of all of the currently published packages, and from the fact that during the process, the App-V process uses up an extraordinary amount of CPU time (20-50%) and memory (several gigabytes).

This happens…

71 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Support "Set Default Programs" for User-Published Packages

Right now, the Application Capabilities Subsystem is only supported for globally published packages: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/appv/2013/01/03/microsoft-application-virtualization-5-0-integration/

It would be great to have that kind of integration for user-published packages as well as currently you have to either:
                    - Publish globally and give up on the idea of targeting users
                    or
                    - Publish to users but make them scroll through apps on every unknown extension which is tiring

71 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Start Virtual Environment before launching EXE (like in App-V 4) so we can put shared resources in a separate package

In App-V 4 the Virtual Environment was started before launching the EXE. Therefore it was posible to put a DLL (shared resource) in a separate resource package (package A) and the main EXE in a different package (package B). Both files are placed in the same folder during sequencing, for instance C:\Program Files\Application. Put package A and B in a Connection Group and start the EXE from package B wich loaded the DLL in package A.

In App-V 5 this is no longer possible. Although VFS is merged, the Virtual Environment is created after launching the EXE. So at launch…

49 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Pinning App Tiles on Win10 Start Screen

Is it possible in App-V 5.1 to create an application tile on Windows 10 Start Screen upon sequencing an Application? I mean rather than publishing an application shortcut, can an application tile be published instead?

45 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  Admin →
                        • Reintroduce Application Licensing to APPV 5.0

Appv 4.5 had an application licensing option whereby you could restrict applications based on the application's licensing requirements. This isn't present in APPV 5.0.
                          For instance - If an application only has 10 licenses and these can run concurrently, I would like to be able to restrict within the APPV management console how many users can run this application at any one time. A consideration would need to be made for running the applications in offline mode. How will the server know that the license is in use?

Thanks in advance,

39 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            1 comment  ·  Admin →
                          • Option to disable/remove services from Virtual Services tab in Package Editor post sequencing

We see that there is no option available in the package editor to remove or disable the services after sequencing. Either we need to edit the package again or edit the deployment file to achieve this. It would be good if there is an option provided in the package editor which would make our job easy. We hope this would be available in the next App-V release.

38 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Admin →
                            • Reinstate the option to enter a PVAD

The list of applications that can't function if sequenced to the virtual file system (dummy PVAD) is getting rather long. See a maintained list at http://www.tmurgent.com/TmBlog/?p=2264. I just had another application (Oracle SQL Developer) that won't work if the -EnablePVADControl parameter is not used. Read about it here: http://www.sweserijnen.nl/?p=332. With merged roots in Connection Groups there is no real need for a dummy PVAD anymore, so please reverse the PVAD option and make defining a PVAD the default option again.

38 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Have shorcuts displayed as separate "ApplicationID"

We workarounded some of limitations (for a same app publishing a shortcut to a user group and an another shortcut to an another group and be able to be member of one or both group withou facing an error) I hope this limitation will be resolved a day BUT
                                We have lots of shortcuts targeting a single exe with different parameters and under app-v 5 sp3 they are all identified by the same ApplicationID. It would be nice to have an applicationID per shortcut to be able to start script depending on wich shortcut is runned without having to turn…

36 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Allow changing user data storage location (local VFS and roaming VFS, VREG, etc)

I feel managing user application state would be a lot easier if all changes to the VFS/VREG made by users for a particular package were consolidated under a single configurable folder.

By sync'ing this folder or pointing it to a network share, they will be able to have their app state with them regardless of which device they're using.

Right now I'm aware of 3 directories that store app state: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\AppV\Client\VFS, %APPDATA%\Microsoft\AppV\Client\VFS, %PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\AppV\Client\VREG

and none of them are configurable as far as I know. For the roaming workflow I described above, all directories storing app state need to be configurable…

35 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Improve the Package Converter to identify missing shortcuts from osd files

In my blog post (http://www.sweserijnen.nl/?p=340) I identify a misleading conversion warning that can easily be fixed or described differently.

The warning states "The icon folder for this package is missing. This package will still convert successfully. However, there will be no icons associated with the applications." while there is no <MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST> entry in the osd file. Either fix the wording of the warning or see if with Powershell and regular expressions the original osd file can be edited to incorporate a proper <MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST> entry.

28 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Provide App-V Packages with all releases of the management tools.

One of the biggest challenges with leveraging a MDOP investment is adoption. If the barrier is high - the tools will not be used and subsequent investment stalled.
                                      Having all of the current suite of Management tools already sequenced, like the SQL Management Tools, ConfigMgr Console, OpsMgr Console, VMM Console, Service Manager Console, etc provides a quick and easy method for adoption of App-V and then able to "get-to-business" activities for enabling transformation within the business - and not being stuck with technical challenges of "assembly, deployment or operational" related issues.

27 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Export automated driver

I think we all know here that you can not Sequencen driver. I need the driver either fixed in the v-disk install or attach it via a PowerShell script from the deployment.xml on the package and re-install. It would be great if I could App-V also automatically export this driver in an .exe file. And then automatically it could attach to the package. Provided, of course you want it to have.

27 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • App-V Sync Notification (customize the message the user sees/move the sync before the user can click apps)

We request to change the way the App-V Publishing Refresh UI notifications are presented to end-users and also mitigate a number of user experience errors generated by the fact that applications can be clicked and opened while the Sync is in progress, causing multiple errors that are confusing the user.

The improvements we propose are the following:

A. Move the App-V Publishing Refresh UI (Sync) prior loading the user session / prior loading Windows shells (e.g. preferably to something similar to GPO update at logon time)
                                          OR/AND
                                          B. Change the wording of this sync popup or allow organizations to change/customize…

26 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)